Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Braille

When things don't appear to fit right and the only delight

You find is being held tight by someone you like

Remember that the sun must embrace the moonlight

And the moonlight must embrace the daylight

And the rain the wind

And then just then, you'll begin to see it all works just the same

Because your name isn't called today, doesn't mean it won't be called tomorrow

The way we embrace today has a lot to say with how forever will play out

The shouts the cheers, the minutes which will inevitably turn into years

None of this is viable because your heart has been placed on the altar

Which millions have been placed .. that is of course the alter

Not your heart, because only people are placed on our hearts…

Don't close your doors to what you want because your mind is in your hearts place

What a disgrace that would be

Understand me when I say, "You need to embrace the day."

You know so more than I and so you must try, try, try

I sit and watch it all pass by because I no longer care

I'm broken, I'm tattered, my thoughts are all scattered

To how it used to be to embrace both the good and the bad

I'm young and I've forgotten how to feel

So I steal glimpses of love from those around me….

1 comment:

CA Commuter Confessions said...

this piece really speaks to me lately.
or should i say it resonates with me.
resonates is my new favorite word.
i went to a talk once where the speaker told us that we can improve our writing by writing down words that we come across that we like in other people's work. then you use the list as you write your own stuff. i know that your pieces are far more inspired and rhythmical than the somewhat mechanical writing of academia, but i thought it might be useful :)


anyways, i like the swings between hope and hopelessness/brokenness that this piece brings up. that is how emotions work. extremes mixed in with the simple and the mundane.. the happiness we feel in a simple hug, the reality that days and nights will come and go regardless of our own struggles, and the fact that the only thing we can control is how we treat our lives, even if that can be very sad and extreme at times.

"I'm broken, I'm tattered, my thoughts are all scattered" amen. although we have a foundation to keep the earthly struggles under control, most of the time..

i like how you put it:
the way we embrace today has a lot to say with how forever will play out. it seems twofold (at least). our actions and hearts/souls play a role in Eternity, but also in the immediate future of our earthly lives. nice.